Crunchy Honey Graham Crackers (Paleo & Low Fodmap)
This has been a good week. I’ve been finding more motivation to get up and out, walk Bentley and create new fun things. I have to say I am learning a lot since I’ve been in quarantine. Just trying to make the best out of an unfortunate situation. But aren’t we all?
Well I just created PALEO-GRAIN FREE honey graham crackers and I can promise you these taste just like Honey Maids (money back guarantee)! I am having a proud moment over this one.
I love doing copy cat recipes as I’m sure you’ve noticed, it’s so hard not being able to eat these fun foods, especially during the holidays and summertime. Hello campfire cooks!
Processed packaged snacks also contain so many preservatives, fillers and chemicals that can destroy your gut and your immune system.
I made my graham crackers mini bite size or they can be used crushed as graham cracker crumbs. After 6 attempts, I finally got the recipe…WHEW. But you are going to love these.
What’s in these graham crackers:
My paleo flour blend: This my perfect blend for a 1:1 paleo baking substitute. It’s a blend of almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour and arrowroot starch. One cup is 1/2 cup of almond, 1/4 cup of arrowroot, 1/8 cup each of tapioca and coconut.
Almond flour: This adds a little more moisture and healthy fats to the crackers for a crunch
Coconut Sugar: My go-to for sweetening all my baked goods. This is low glycemic and is a 1:1 sub for any sugar in a recipe. And does not taste like coconut!
Baking Soda: Helps them rise
Salt: To activate the baking soda
Cinnamon: To give that Honey Maid iconic flavor
Non-dairy or real butter: This can’t be subbed for oil. You need the butter to give the crunchy cracker texture. I used Earth Balance sticks
Non-dairy milk, full fat: I used full fat Oatly oat milk but any heavy plant based milk will work
Honey: This cannot be subbed, this is what makes them HONEY GRAHAMS!
Vanilla Extract: Compliments the honey. Make sure it’s pure vanilla
1 cup of my paleo flour*
3/4 cup of almond flour
6 tbsp coconut sugar
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp + 2 tsp nondairy or real butter
1 tbsp + 1 tsp full fat/heavy non dairy milk
2 tbsp + 1 tsp honey
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Combine paleo flour blend, almond flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon together.
2. Then cut in the butter until dough resembles course sand. Add in the honey, milk and vanilla until it forms a dough forms. It will be STICKY. That’s fine, just gather it and stick it in the fridge/freezer until cold, it’ll firm up.
3. Once dough is nice and firm, take half out and put the other back in the fridge to keep it cold. Roll dough out to 1/8” on a really well floured surface (dough is sticky because of the honey) or it’ll be hard to work with. Cut whatever shapes you’d like — I did small rectangles, but you can make the traditional size graham crackers that are about 2” x 4.5” — then add the little holes with fork.
4. Bake for 9-12 minutes (depending on how big they are). They burn easily so keep an eye on them. Edges should be slightly brown, they will firm up more after cooled. If still soft after cooling, stick back in the oven for another 5 minutes or so. They will get crunchy!
Graham cracker suggestions: crush them up for an ice cream topping, spread peanut butter on them, put vanilla ice cream in the middle, or bring them to your next campfire!
- Keep an eye on the baking time, they burn easily. If some are thinner than others, you may have to take those out first and then put the rest back in until crunchy
Leave a comment and let me know what you think!