Crunchy Homemade Honey Graham Crackers (Paleo, Gluten Free)
These paleo, grain free and gluten free honey graham crackers taste just like traditional Honey Maids! Use them in S'Mores, as graham cracker crumbs in pie crusts, and just when you want a sweet snack
with peanut butter! JUMP TO RECIPE
WHY MAKE HOMEMADE GRAHAM CRACKERS?
ONE - Well first of all, there are NO good store bought gluten free graham crackers on the market. The ones that are available are full of sugars, dairy and contain so many processed ingredients, preservatives and fillers that can destroy your gut and your immune system. So I had to make my own!
TWO - I love doing copy cat recipes, it’s so hard not being able to eat these fun foods, especially during the holidays and summertime. Now you can join with a just as good/healthier version. Hello campfire cooks!
THREE - They are fun to make and so rewarding seeing these few ingredients become your favorite honey cracker.... err, biscuit? Cookie? After 6 attempts, I finally got the recipe…WHEW. But you are going to love these.
INGREDIENTS IN PALEO HOMEMADE GRAHAM CRACKERS
Blanched Fine Almond Flour
Non-dairy or real butter
Heavy Non-dairy Milk
SUGGESTIONS AND SWAPS
1. I do not suggest swapping or subbing the flours. This recipe is tried and true and took several attempts to achieve the perfect texture and taste. I have made these with an all purpose gluten free flour and they did not come out the same. However, if you are intolerant to almonds and still want to give it a try, you can use 1 3/4 cups of GF all purpose flour in replacement of ALL the flours and starches. You may need to add more milk 1 Tbsp at a time if the dough seems dry.
2. The honey is what gives these graham crackers that iconic flavor, but if you are following strict low FODMAP or are vegan, you can swap the honey for agave, or even light maple syrup. Just keep in mind the flavor will be a little different.
3. Coconut sugar can be swapped for cane sugar or other granulated sugar, but coconut sugar works really well in this recipe.
3. Any non-dairy butter should work in this recipe but Miyoko's Unsalted is what I used. You may also sub for real butter. Ghee should work as well.
4. I use Oatly Full Fat for my milk here, but any thicker non-dairy milk will work.
Honey graham cracker suggestions:
Crush them up for an ice cream topping
Spread peanut butter on them
Put vanilla ice cream in the middle
Bring them to your next campfire! Hello, S'Mores
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN FREE GRAHAM CRACKERS
Find a cookie cutter shape. I suggest a 2" or 3" square. Larger rectangle shapes like the traditional size of a double graham cracker may result in softer centers and burnt edges. Any shape will work! These can even be made into animal crackers. You may also cut freehand with a knife.
Mix all ingredients in ONE BOWL! Then chill the dough.
Roll out to 1/8" thick between two pieces of parchment and cut into squares or use a cookie cutter until all dough is used.
Bake for 10-14 minutes, removing the crackers as they turn dark golden brown.
Remove and let cool so they become crunchy. Use in pie crusts, ice cream toppings or S'Mores!
IF YOU MAKE THESE COPYCAT GLUTEN FREE HONEY GRAHAM CRACKERS, LEAVE ME A COMMENT OR RATING BELOW! AND BE SURE TO TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @GUTSY_BAKER WITH YOUR CREATIONS!