Mini Blueberry Pop Tarts (Paleo, Vegan Friendly, Low Fodmap)
Just POPPIN’ by today to share these little cuties. Yep, the Pop Tart queen has made MINI POP TARTS and they’re just as delicious but definitely more adorable than the regular sized. And better for single serving, I eat the big ones too fast! This time I filled them with blueberry jam and they’re so sweet, buttery and fruity. They taste just a like a blueberry pop tart! This is one of my most favorited recipes. They take a couple of steps but really easy and always so worth it after, I promise.
Were you a toaster strudel or pop tart fan? When toaster strudels made their appearance, I always thought they were a ‘wannabe’ pop tart!! Although I did like that extra icing drizzle you could add after you toasted them. That was a bonus point.
As always, these pop tart/hand pies are paleo, grain-free, vegan-friendly, low fodmap and clean. These are kid approved, boyfriend and husband approved. I have been told by friends who are strictly gluten-free that eating these made them giddy because they loved pop tarts so much as kids!
What is in these little blueberry pop tarts?
Blueberries: Traditional pop tart flavor. Blueberries are low in sugar and histamines. Pretty much safe on most restricted diets
Tapioca Flour: This acts as a binder and gels up the jam
Hot water: You melt the tapioca in this so it’s not clumpy
Sweetener: Any you choose — to break the acidity a bit from the fruit
Almond Flour: Gives moisture and flakiness to the dough
Tapioca Flour: This binds and absorbs some of the moisture from the almond flour so these are not greasy
Vegan Butter or Real Butter: Adds a great flavor and crumbly texture
Egg: Binds together the dough. You can substitute for a flax or chia egg
Sea Salt: balances out flavor in all doughs
• 1 cup almond flour
• 1 cup tapioca flour
• 4 tbsp vegan butter or grass fed butter, COLD
• 1/4 cup of coconut sugar
• 1 egg, or flax egg for vegan
• 1/2 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp of coconut butter
3+ tbsp of canned full fat coconut milk
1+ tsp of monkfruit powder, or maple syrup
1/4 tsp of vanilla extract
Squeeze of lemon
Make the mini blueberry pop tarts!
1. Preheat your oven to 350F.
2. Mix all into a dough. I use my hands to break up the butter and get messy. You could also use a food processor. Then wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate until cold or it’ll be too sticky to work with. Once chilled, roll out to about 1/8” thick and cut into 2”x4” rectangles until all dough is used.
3. Then spoon about 2 tbsp of jam filling in the centers on half and top them with the other dough halves. Wet edges with finger and press down to seal. Then use a fork to make the little seal marks. Bake 15 minutes until edges are golden brown
4. Make the icing:
5. Mix all in a saucepan and heat until warm. Add more coconut milk if you want your icing to be a little thinner. Adjust sweetness to taste. Drizzle over the baked tarts, about 1/2 tbsp per tart! Sprinkle with funfetti!
- You can make easier and more traditional icing by mixing 1 cup of powdered sugar with 1 tbsp of milk at a time until icing forms. You can make unrefined powdered sugar by putting any granulated sweetener in a high speed blender for 30 seconds. I suggest to add in some blueberry jam to your icing.
- Work with COLD dough. It will be hard to work with once it gets to room temperature. The best way to do this is refrigerate half the of the dough while you are rolling the first half.