Vegan Blueberry Pop Tarts (Paleo, Low Fodmap)
These paleo and vegan BLUEBERRY POP TARTS are my most popular recipe, I’ve made them in so many flavors but blueberry is the best! I’ve had many reach out and thank me that they are so happy they can eat ‘real pop tarts’ again. The best part of recipe developing for others who have restricted diets is to create these old favorites and bring back that happiness and joy. They are safe for a low fodmap diet and the perfect paleo dessert. I even eat these for breakfast. If you are a Pop Tart fan, you will love to make and eat these fun vegan blueberry pop tarts!
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN BLUEBERRY POP TARTS?
Non-Dairy Butter or Real Butter
Vegan Chia Egg or Real Egg
Maple Syrup or Honey
SUGGESTIONS AND SWAPS
1. You may swap out the blueberries for raspberries, blackberries or strawberries. Fresh or frozen will work the same.
2. Coconut sugar used in the dough may be swapped for any other granulated sugar or sweetener.
3. The chia egg is made by combining 1 tbsp of chia seeds to 3 tbsp of warm water. Flax eggs would work well here too, with ground flax. Or a real egg.
4. I used Miyoko’s dairy free butter in the dough, but any non-dairy stick butter will work, or real grass fed butter. Must be cold.
5. Tapioca starch may be swapped for arrowroot starch. Tapioca flour is the same as tapioca starch.
6. I do not suggest swapping out the almond flour, it has the perfect moisture for the dough and no other flours have been tested.
THESE BLUEBERRY POP TARTS ARE VEGAN, LOW FODMAP, GLUTEN FREE AND PALEO!
AND you would honestly never know. These taste true to a healthier version of the OG blueberry Pop Tart! Those who have been gluten free for years have made these pop tarts and couldn’t believe how much they tasted like ‘childhood’! The eggs are replaced with vegan chia or flax eggs, dairy free butter in place of butter, and sweetened only with unrefined sugar, making them vegan and paleo.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN BLUEBERRY POP TARTS?
1. Make the blueberry jam by heating blueberries on stove, adding tapioca starch and sweetener
2. Mix the dough ingredients together, chill, then roll out and cut into rectangles.
3. Fill the centers with jam. Place another piece of dough on top, seal the edges, brush with egg or butter and pop into the oven.
4. Prepare the icing by mixing powdered sugar and milk in a small bowl. Spread over the cooled pop tarts. Top with sprinkles and you have yourself the most delicious little pop tart/hand pie!
THE 5 MINUTE BLUEBERRY JAM FILLING
Don’t be intimated by making this filling. The berries are heated and smashed on the stovetop, then a touch of sweetener and some tapioca starch are added to gel it up into a jam. It takes just about 5 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE UNREFINED POWDERED SUGAR FOR THE ICING
To make your own unrefined powdered sugar, place any granulated sweetener in a high speed blender for 30-60 seconds. I suggest monkfruit or traditional powdered confectionary sugar in this recipe. I don’t think coconut sugar would pair with the blueberries well, but you can try it! Powdered sugar is great to have on hand for frostings, icings, and shortbread cookies so I like to make a bunch and store it for later.
HOW TO STORE PALEO BLUEBERRY POP TARTS
Store the pop tarts in a vented container or dish covered with aluminum foil for 1-2 days on the counter, and then transfer to the fridge in an airtight container. Try to lay them flat, if you stack them they may get soft and stick together. These can also be frozen for 3+ months!
Leave any comments or questions below! I always love to hear from you. And be sure to tag me @gutsy_baker on Instagram of all your creations!