Paleo Chocolate Cherry Cupcakes with Cherry Filling (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
A delicious cherry filled dark chocolate cupcake topped with a sweet dairy-free cherry buttercream. Secretly paleo, gluten free, dairy free! Because who doesn't love the chocolate & cherry?
Why should you make paleo chocolate cherry cupcakes?
Because — CHOCOLATE AND CHERRY. I love to fill my cupcakes, I don’t think I’ll ever go back! Something about that gooey sweet cherry center that gives them extra flavor and moisture. The cherry compote filling takes 5 minutes on the stove.
These chocolate cherry cupcakes are paleo, gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free. The buttercream is made with dairy free butter and powdered sugar, but you could use powdered monkfruit here or even powdered coconut sugar if you like that nuttier flavor. See my notes below on how to make your own powdered sugar. These are the best healthier treat and gluten free dessert! They are also low FODMAP compliant, even with the cherry serving size!
If you don’t have cherries or want to keep these strictly low FODMAP you can replace the cherries with raspberries or strawberries.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHERRY CUPCAKES
Cherries, Fresh or Frozen
Maple Syrup or Honey
Cacao Powder or High Quality Cocoa Powder
Coconut Flour or Oat Flour
Baking Powder and Soda
Coconut Oil or Olive Oil
Unrefined or confectionary powdered sugar
RECIPE SUBSTITUTIONS AND SWAPS
1. You can swap the cherries for strawberries or raspberries, fresh or frozen.
2. The tapioca starch can be swapped for arrowroot starch.
3. Maple syrup in this recipe is used to lightly sweeten the cherry filling. It can be omitted completely or any liquid sweetener of choice can be used instead.
4. Cacao powder may be swapped for a high quality cocoa powder, I suggest Dutch cocoa.
5. I use oat milk in all of my baking because it’s the closest thickness and volume to real dairy milk.
6. I have not tried to replace the eggs in this recipe to make it vegan, but I do think you could use 2 flax eggs in replacement. The cupcakes may just be more dense. It has not been tested yet, though! Aquafaba eggs may also work.
7. Be sure the eggs and non-dairy milk are at room temp if you are using coconut oil in this recipe.
8. See notes below on how to make your own paleo-friendly unrefined powdered sugar for the buttercream frosting.
You can make these cupcakes in steps ahead of time, even days apart:
1. Make the cupcakes ahead of time and store on the counter for a day, or place in the fridge in an airtight for 2 days until ready to make the filling and assemble.
2. Prep the cherry compote filling in advance. It’s an easy compote made on the stove and can be stored in the fridge for up to 7 days.
3. When ready to assemble, cut centers of cupcakes and fill with the cherry compote. Then whip up the buttercream and swirl! Option to add fresh cherries on top.
What kitchen tools are needed for paleo chocolate cherry cupcakes?
Standard muffin tin
Hand mixer or stand mixer
Piping bag for the frosting
Why work with room temp ingredients?
It is important when baking with coconut oil that all other ingredients are room temp. Coconut oil solidifies when cold, so adding cold eggs to the coconut oil will cause it to harden and not mix evenly.
To warm eggs to room temp, place in a cup or bowl of warm water for 3 minutes.
Gently warm non-dairy milk in microwave or over stove top so it’s not chilled.
How to make unrefined powdered sugar for cherry dairy-free buttercream:
To make your own unrefined powdered sugar, place any granulated sweetener in a high speed blender for 30-60 seconds. You can use any granulated sweetener or sugar, even monkfruit. Keep in mind coconut sugar has a caramel-y flavor and will alter the flavor and color just a bit.
IF YOU MAKE THESE DELICIOUS GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHERRY CUPCAKES, LEAVE ME COMMENTS OR RATINGS BELOW! ALSO TAG ME IN YOUR CREATIONS @GUTSY_BAKER ON INSTAGRAM!