Spoiler alert! This bread does not contain yeast! This is why I do not call this bread a 'babka', even though it's babka-style and twisted the same. Babka is a yeasted bread. This bread is so tasty and moist, you may not miss the yeast. However it's a little denser and crumblier in texture. I use vinegar and baking powder in replacement of the yeast, to create a rise.
If you love blueberries you’ll love this sweet bread! It’s made with my go-to sweet bread dough filled with a quick homemade blueberry jam and covered in a zesty lemon frosting glaze. The outside is the texture of a pastry and the inside is gooey and doughy filled with blueberries. It’s the best combination and I can never get enough! The best part is, this bread is yeast free so no waiting for rising. You can pop it right in the oven.
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN THIS GLUTEN FREE VEGAN BLUEBERRY LEMON TWIST BREAD?
All Purpose Gluten Free Flour
Vegan/Dairy Free Butter
Non Dairy Milk
Blueberries, fresh or frozen
Maple Syrup or Honey
Lemon Juice and Zest
Unrefined Powdered Sugar, see below
SUGGESTIONS AND SWAPS
1. I do not suggest swapping out the gluten free all purpose flour for a grain free flour. It has not been tested. However you can swap this for a regular all purpose flour if you are not gluten free.
2. I have used Miyoko’s brand dairy free butter in this recipe and it works well. I’ve also used Earth Balance sticks. You can swap the non-dairy butter for regular grass fed butter. Keep in mind all dairy free butter isn't created equal and may produce different results in dough moisture/stickiness.
3. You can swap the coconut sugar for any granulated sugar or sweetener. You can omit all the sugar and sweetener in the bread dough and blueberry filling for a lower sugar option and it'll still be delicious.
4. If you do not like blueberries or do not have any on hand, you can swap them out for any other berry. Raspberry, blackberry or strawberry. Keep in mind your jam will be seedy and may need straining!
5. Maple syrup or honey used in the blueberry jam may be swapped out for any other sweetener or omitted completely if the blueberries used are sweet enough alone.
6. I used traditional powdered sugar in the lemon frosting, but you may use any powdered sweetener. Monkfruit, or even coconut sugar for a nuttier flavor.
7. I use Bob's Red Mill GF Flour, this is tried and true. You may also use King Arthur GF Flour but no others have been tested.
WHY NO YEAST?
I do not use yeast in my breads or any of my baking. I guess you can call them ‘quick breads’. I avoid yeast because it can contribute to a Candida overgrowth and gut imbalance. It is a main trigger for migraines and headaches, and specifically high in histamines when it is fresh out of the oven. I use apple cider vinegar and a bicarbonate as a substitute. This gluten free and yeast free bread has a denser texture and soft middle.
WHAT TEXTURE DOES THIS VEGAN BLUEBERRY LEMON TWIST BREAD HAVE?
Keep in mind this is a bread, not a cake!! It is a denser, doughier bread with a chewier crust and soft gooey inside thanks to the blueberry filling. The lemon glaze melts into the bread, making it even more moist as it sits. The glaze will add the sweetness that compliments the bread perfectly!
HOW TO MAKE SWEET VEGAN BLUEBERRY TWIST BREAD
This bread looks intimidating but it is actually easy if your dough is workable.
To ensure a workable dough:
1. Make sure you measure the flour correctly, by spooning the flour into the measuring cups and leveling off with a spoon, not scooping the flour from the bag.
2. If you are using a vegan butter, the only two I have tried are Earth Balance Sticks and Miyoko's unsalted butter. Earth balance makes a stickier dough. Real grass fed butter will work as well. No other dairy free butters have been tested.
3. Refrigerate the dough completely before rolling out. If you feel it's too sticky roll out and roll up with the filling after it's been chilled, add 1/4 more cups of flour to the dough before working with it.
4. Flour the parchment paper or surface well before rolling out, and make sure to flour the top of the dough too. This will make it easier to roll.
5. After you roll the dough up with the filling inside, if you feel it's too soft to cut in half and twist, transfer onto a baking sheet and place in the freezer for 20 minutes to firm up before cutting.
If you have trouble cutting/twisting:
If the twist is just not working and the dough is too soft, mix the blueberry jam into the dough and just bake as is! It'll still be delicious.
This bread is basically like making cinnamon rolls, but instead of slicing into individual rolls, it is cut vertically and twisted. No waiting for the dough to rise and warming the yeast. Make the dough, roll, spread the mixture, roll it up, slice it in half, twist and bake! Then top with the zesty lemon glaze that you will make while the bread is baking.
THIS BLUEBERRY TWIST BREAD IS GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE AND VEGAN. IT IS ALSO LOW FODMAP FRIENDLY
I eat low FODMAP 90% of the time and I only bake with ingredients that are FODMAP friendly. This bread has no refined sugar, sweetened with just coconut sugar and a touch of maple syrup in the filling. I did use an egg in this bread, but you can omit the egg completely with no replacements to make this bread vegan.
HOW TO MAKE UNREFINED PALEO-FRIENDLY POWDERED SUGAR
The dairy-free zesty lemon frosting in this recipe calls for powdered sugar. You can use traditional powdered confectionary sugar, or you can make your own unrefined sugar. Simply place any granulated sweetener of choice in a high speed blender for 30 seconds. I suggest monkfruit, or you can use coconut sugar. Just keep in mind that will change the flavor and color of your frosting a bit.
5 MINUTE HOMEMADE BLUEBERRY JAM FILLING
This delicious filling is so easy! You literally just heat and smash the berries on the stovetop, add a touch of sweetener and some tapioca starch to gel it up into a jam. It takes just about 5 minutes.
HOW TO STORE GLUTEN FREE VEGAN BLUEBERRY TWIST BREAD
Store on the counter for 3 days on a plate, vented. The bread may get ‘wet’ if you store it in an airtight container on the counter due to all the moisture. Then transfer to the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7. Reheat when you want to enjoy. You can also slice it up and freeze the slices individually for easy defrosting, for up to 3 months.
Be sure to leave ratings or comments below if you make this sweet gluten free blueberry twist bread. And as always, tag me in your creations @gutsy_baker on Instagram!
*keep in mind results of this bread may vary depending on brands of flour, butter and milk used. I have notes above on suggestions and what has been tested.