Vegan Lemon Raspberry Sweet Rolls (Gluten Free, No Yeast!)
These raspberry lemon sweet rolls are a spin off my popular cinnamon rolls, but these sweet rolls do not contain cinnamon! They are made with a fresh vegan easy lemon curd topped with frozen raspberries, rolled up in an easy yeast-free dough. No jams needed! Just whole raspberries in this recipe. No one will know these are vegan, gluten and refined sugar free!
WHY VEGAN RASPBERRY LEMON SWEET ROLLS?
The gluten free cinnamon rolls are probably my most made and favorite recipe. I thought it would be fun to make other versions of the rolls, in a more spring/summer fashion. So I turned these recipe into RASPBERRY LEMON ROLLS, and they are a crowd pleaser! Vegan, paleo, gluten free and low fodmap friendly, they’re the perfect summer paleo dessert that everyone will love.
And if you haven’t checked out my cinnamon rolls, they’re here!
RASPBERRY LEMON SWEET ROLLS ARE GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE AND VEGAN. THEY ARE ALSO LOW FODMAP FRIENDLY.
I eat Low FODMAP 90% of the time and I only bake with ingredients that are FODMAP friendly. These rolls are made with a gluten free flour blend. They have the option to have no refined sugar, sweetened with just coconut sugar and a touch of honey, agave or maple syrup in the lemon curd. They are bursting with low FODMAP raspberries and fresh lemon zest and juice.
INGREDIENTS IN GLUTEN FREE RASPBERRY LEMON ROLLS
All Purpose 1:1 Gluten Free Flour
Dairy Free Butter
Non Dairy Milk
Unrefined Powdered Sugar
Fresh Lemon Juice and Zest
Coconut Milk or Coconut Cream
Honey, Agave or Maple Syrup
SUBSTITUTIONS AND SWAPS
1. You can swap gluten free flour for all purpose flour if you are not gluten free. Using a paleo flour blend with this recipe will result in a more cake-like texture.
2. Coconut sugar may be swapped for any granulated sugar or sweetener. Coconut sugar is low glycemic and does not include artificial sweeteners so I prefer it in most of my baking.
3. Dairy Free Butter can be swapped for real grass fed butter.
4. Any Non-Dairy Milk works in the dough, I use oat milk. It can also be swapped for regular milk or cream.
5. Any powdered sugar should work in this recipe. You can use traditional powdered sugar, powdered
monk fruit or make your own unrefined powdered sugar. See notes below.
6. Lemon Juice and Zest must be fresh! Not bottled. It will result in a bitter flavor.
7. If you don’t like raspberries, replace with any other berry! BERRIES MUST BE FROZEN!
8. Tapioca Starch can be replaced with arrowroot starch.
4 PARTS TO VEGAN RASPBERRY LEMON ROLLS
LEMON CURD: Make the vegan lemon curd ahead of time and place in fridge to cool. If you don’t want to make the lemon curd, this can be omitted and replaced with 1/4 cup melted non-dairy butter. There is also lemon in the frosting!
THE DOUGH: This dough is easy to make. Can be made in advance and chilled the night before or when ready to use.
RASPBERRY FILLING: This is just rolling frozen raspberries in sugar and tapioca starch. Then spreading them over the dough before rolling up.
LEMON ZEST FROSTING: This is the BEST PART, I highly recommend not skipping! Fresh lemon zest and juice are blended with dairy free butter and powdered sweetener, and spread on top of the warm rolls
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN RASPBERRY LEMON ROLLS
1. Make the lemon curd in advance so it’s chilled and ready when you make the rolls! Combine ingredients in a saucepan and let cool in an airtight container in the fridge until thick and set.
2. Make the dough. This is done in one bowl, and can be hand mixed. The dough can be refrigerated for easier rolling or made in advance and chilled until ready to use.
3. The dough is rolled out to a large rectangle, and the lemon curd is spread over the dough.
4. Roll the frozen raspberries into the coconut sugar and then into the tapioca starch.
5. Spread mixture over the dough, over the lemon curd. Carefully roll up the dough and slice into rolls. Bake them in a 9” baking dish until tops are brown.
6. Prepare the frosting by mixing all ingredients together with a hand or stand mixer. Spread over warm rolls and enjoy!
VARIATIONS OF SWEET ROLLS:
If you don't like raspberry, or want to make these again because they're that good! Here are some other ideas. Keep in mind these fruits must be frozen!
HOW TO STORE VEGAN RASPBERRY LEMON ROLLS
Store raspberry lemon rolls in the pan on the counter for 1 day, and then transfer to the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7. Reheat when you want to enjoy! Can be frozen individually in an airtight container or ziploc bag for up to 3 months.
HOW TO MAKE UNREFINED PALEO-FRIENDLY POWDERED SUGAR
The dairy-free zesty lemon frosting in this recipe calls for powdered sugar. You can use traditional powdered confectionary sugar, or you can make your own unrefined sugar. Simply place any granulated sweetener of choice in a high speed blender for 30 seconds. I suggest monkfruit, or you can use coconut sugar. Just keep in mind that will change the flavor and color of your frosting a bit.
LET ME KNOW BELOW IN THE COMMENTS IF YOU ENJOYED THESE SWEET ROLLS! I LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU ALL. AND BE SURE TO TAG ME @GUTSY_BAKER ON INSTAGRAM OF YOUR CREATIONS!