Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
This fluffy vegan banana bread is Elvis style, swirled with pure peanut butter and filled with dark chocolate chips. It's gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free but it's super moist and perfect for breakfast or even dessert!
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD
Coconut Sugar, or granulated sweetener
Non Dairy Milk
Natural Peanut Butter
SWAPS + SUBSTITUTIONS
1. I used Bob's Red Mill 1:1 Gluten Free Flour here. I think you can swap this for King Arthur GF 1:1, or all purpose flour if you aren't gluten free. But no other flours or blends have been tested!
2. Coconut sugar can be swapped for cane sugar, sugar in the raw, or any granulated sweetener.
3. If you don't eat peanuts or are allergic, the peanut butter can be omitted completely and it'd still be delicious! It is added in at the end so will not affect the texure or bake of the bread.
4. I used oat milk here, but any non-dairy milk should work well. A thicker milk is always better!
5. If you don't have non-dairy butter on hand, try subbing it out for melted coconut oil.
6. Any chocolate chips will work here! Or they can be omitted completely for a more traditional banana bread.
(I only use paleo/vegan Hu Kitchen Gems, use 'GUTSYBAKER' at check out for 20% off your order sitewide!)
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD:
This banana bread is super easy to make! Here's how we make it:
In a medium mixing bowl, mash the bananas well. Whisk in the coconut sugar, vanilla, milk.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sea salt. Add this to the wet ingredients and whisk well. Add in lots of chocolate chips.
Pour into lined loaf pan. Carefully swirl in peanut butter with a knife.
Bake until top is golden brown!
The peanut butter in the bread is subtle so I like to spread more on top after baked.
Kitchen tools needed to make gluten free banana bread:
9" x 5" Loaf Pan
Can I make this gluten free banana bread paleo as well?
Unfortunately, the flours here have not been tested with paleo flours so I do not suggest trying to swap. The bread may become too wet since paleo flours are dense. Cassava flour is your best bet but may result in the bread being too dry. But I have a lot of other paleo recipes on the site, if you are looking for paleo! Search 'paleo' on the homepage for a list
But are bananas low FODMAP?
Bananas are typically well tolerated when they are baked or cooked, in terms of histamines and FODMAPs. This banana bread is easily digestible because it is made with gluten free flour (not cassava or almond), which is mainly white rice. Bananas used in banana bread have to be very ripe, and recently the Monash University FODMAP app stated that yellow bananas are now higher FODMAP than the green bananas. This was not the case years ago, it was actually the opposite. I personally cannot tolerate green bananas. So I'd say this is a personal preference as we are all different! But overall the bread is low FODMAP compliant.
What if I don't eat peanut butter?
You can omit it completely! Don't replace it with any other nut butters.
How to store vegan gluten free banana bread?
Store on countertop wrapped in tin foil, or in an airtight container for 2 days, then transfer to the fridge for up to 7 days.
Any other questions? Leave them below!
IF YOU MAKE THIS DELICIOUS VEGAN AND GLUTEN FREE PEANUT BUTTER CHOCOLATE CHIP BANANA BREAD, BE SURE TO LEAVE ME COMMENTS OR RATINGS BELOW! IT'S SO HELPFUL. AND TAG ME @GUTSY_BAKER INSTAGRAM OF YOUR CREATIONS!