Giant Strawberry Pop Tart (Gluten Free, Paleo, Vegan Friendly)
What's better than making Pop Tarts? Making a giant Pop Tart. Easy paleo dough, delicious 5 minute strawberry jam filling, drizzled with strawberry icing and sprinkles. With it being strawberry season, I made a strawberry flavor, but any berry will work! This giant Pop Tart is gluten free, paleo, and vegan friendly. But it tastes like a real Pop Tart!
WHY YOU WILL LOVE THIS GLUTEN FREE GIANT STRAWBERRY POP TART
It's easier than making a bunch of small Pop Tarts!
Simple, easy one bowl paleo crust
Easy 5 minute strawberry filling
Fun to make
Tastes like real deal Pop Tarts
Kids will love it!
GIANT STRAWBERRY POP TART IS GLUTEN FREE, PALEO AND VEGAN FRIENDLY!
You would honestly never know. I used almond flour/tapioca starch for the flour base, non dairy butter, touch of sea salt and coconut sugar for the dough. And boiled down fresh strawberries with a touch of maple syrup for the filling. These taste true to a real strawberry Pop Tart! I’ve had those who have been gluten free for years make these and couldn’t believe how much they tasted like ‘childhood’, and how they’ve missed Pop Tarts!
INGREDIENTS IN GLUTEN FREE STRAWBERRY POP TART
Honey or Maple Syrup
Non Dairy Butter or Real Butter
Egg or Flax Egg
Unrefined Powdered Sugar or Powdered Confectionary Sugar
SUBSTITUTIONS + SWAPS
1. Strawberries: You can use fresh or frozen. Alternatively you can substitute for raspberries or blueberries
2. Honey or Maple Syrup: Just a touch for sweetness in the strawberry jam, this can be omitted for no added sugar
3. Coconut Sugar: My baking sugar of choice. It’s low glycemic and safe on most low carb diets. It doesn’t taste like coconut! But you can replace this with any other granulated sweetener
4. Almond Flour: Almond flour unfortunately can’t be substituted in this recipe.
5. Tapioca Starch/Flour: You may substitute with arrowroot starch in both the dough and in the strawberry filling.
6. Non Dairy Butter: Coconut oil may also be used. Or real grass fed butter
7. Egg: You can easily substitute for a flax egg or chia egg for vegan!
8. Powdered Sugar: I think traditional powdered sugar works best for this icing, but you can also use powdered monkfruit here for a paleo and refined sugar free option. It's just a little sweeter.
HOW TO MAKE GIANT STRAWBERRY POP TART:
(Full instructions on recipe card below)
1. First make the strawberry puree by boiling down strawberries on stove and smashing them until smooth. Add in sweetener and tapioca starch.
2. Make the dough by adding all the ingredients together in a bowl.
3. Cut the dough in half and roll out both pieces to large rectangles on parchment paper.
4. Spread filling onto one piece of dough. Cover with the other piece of dough and seal edges with fingers. Then create fork marks around the edges. Poke holes in the top of the dough.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
6. Mix the icing ingredients together and spread over top of cooled Pop Tart. Sprinkle with colored sprinkles. Enjoy!
Is the giant gluten free Strawberry Pop Tart easy to make?
Yes! I’d say this is easy level baking. Mix the dough ingredients together, roll out and cut into large rectangles. Place another piece of dough on top, seal the edges and pop into the oven. Spread some icing and you have yourself the most delicious pop tart pie!
Can I make this into small Pop Tarts instead?
Yes, instead of rolling into two large rectangles, roll and cut into small rectangles the size of Pop Tarts, about 3"x 4". You should be able to cut 12 smaller pieces, making 6 total Pop Tarts once assembled.
Can I make an icing without using powdered sugar or powdered sweetener?
Yes. To make a paleo friendly, powdered-sugar free icing, combine the following in a saucepan and heat until melted and well combined. Taste and add more syrup if needed. If too thick, add more coconut milk until desired consistency. Drizzle over baked tarts:
2 Tbsp coconut butter
3+ Tbsp full fat coconut milk
1+ tsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
What is the 5 minute jam filling?
Don’t be intimated by making this filling. You literally just heat and smash the berries on the stovetop, add a touch of sweetener and some tapioca starch to gel it up into a jam. It takes just about 5 minutes.
How do I make my own unrefined powdered sugar?
To make your own unrefined powdered sugar, place any granulated sweetener in a high speed blender for 30-60 seconds. I use my Vitamix and place the sugar in my dry container. I suggest powdered monkfruit in this recipe. I think coconut sugar is a little too overpowering for the strawberry. Powdered sugar is great to have on hand for frostings, icings, and shortbread cookies so I like to make a bunch and store it for later.
How to store the giant paleo Strawberry Pop Tart?
Store the pop tart in a vented container or dish covered with aluminum foil for 1-2 days on the counter, and then transfer to the fridge in an airtight container. After cutting into pieces, lay flat or side by side when storing. If you stack them they may get soft and stick together. These can also be frozen for 3+ months!
What kitchen tools are needed?
A rolling pin
Parchment paper sheets for rolling
Large baking Sheet
Fork for crimping edges