Gluten Free S'mores Cookies (Dairy Free, Low FODMAP)
S'mores are the mascot of summer, so let's make them into cookies! Bakery style gluten free chocolate chip cookies stuffed with paleo graham crackers and mini marshmallows. Also dairy free and refined sugar free but no one will know. These will get devoured, guaranteed you'll want S'more.
GLUTEN FREE S'MORES COOKIES TASTE LIKE REAL BAKERY COOKIES (YOU WILL NEVER KNOW THEY'RE HEALTHIER)
These gluten free S'mores cookies are full of flavor and have that iconic chocolate chip cookie taste that you’d get at a bakery. My secret to making a paleo brown sugar is adding a touch of blackstrap molasses to the coconut sugar before it is mixed into the rest of the ingredients. Molasses is the secret in traditional brown sugar, and adding a touch into the coconut sugar gave it the perfect soft brown sugar texture and the perfect taste and chew! I added in loads of paleo chocolate chips, gluten free graham crackers, and mini marshmallows to make them S'MORES.
I wanted this cookie to taste like a REAL chocolate chip cookie, not an altered healthy version. So I’m happy to share this recipe with you all!
What ingredients are in S'mores cookies?
Paleo Chocolate Chips or Bar
SUBSTITUTION SUGGESTIONS AND SWAPS
1. I used Bob’s 1:1 GF flour here, but any all purpose flour should work, gluten free or regular.
2. Coconut sugar is my go-to for sweetening all my baked goods. It’s a neutral flavor and low glycemic so works well on low sugar diets. I combined the coconut sugar in this recipe with a touch of molasses to substitute brown sugar and it worked perfectly. I do not suggest any substitutions for the coconut sugar, it hasn't been tested.
3. Just a touch of molasses is used in these s'mores cookies to create a brown sugar substitute. This is what gives your cookies a chewy texture. Blackstrap molasses is rich in iron and minerals and actually a superfood! This cannot be omitted.
4. I used Miyoko’s dairy-free unsalted butter, but any vegan stick butter should work, or regular grass fed butter. Miyoko's is tried and true!
5. I love to use Hu Kitchen paleo gems or chopped simple chocolate bars in all my recipes, but any chocolate will work.
6. There are some packaged gluten free graham cracker brands, but I like to use my own paleo graham cracker recipe because they're clean and free of refined sugars/additives. It's hard to find a clean one in the stores!
7. Unfortunately it's hard to find marshmallows not sweetened with cane sugar, but these might work if you are looking for an alternative. Otherwise I like Dandy's vegan marshmallows.
KITCHEN TOOLS NEEDED FOR S'MORES COOKIES
A baking sheet(s)
A preferred cookie scoop for even, perfect cookies
HOW TO MAKE THESE HEALTHIER S’MORES COOKIES
First, mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl, and wet ingredients separately. Mix together until a dough forms. Add in chocolate chips, graham crackers and marshmallows.
Refrigerate the dough until completely cold and firm.
Scoop out dough and roll into balls, about 2 Tbsp each.
Push extra marshmallows and chocolate chunks into the dough balls and re-roll back into balls.
Bake 8-10 minutes until edges are just brown and center is just baked. Trick is to take them out a little underbaked!
Can I make these S'mores cookies vegan?
I haven't tried to make these cookies without an egg but I do think you can substitute with 4 aquafaba 'eggs' successfully. If you try it, let me know below!
Can I make these S'mores cookies paleo?
To make these cookies paleo, you will have to use this paleo chocolate chip cookie recipe as the base instead of the cookie recipe listed here, it’s almost the same recipe but the flours are just altered to be grain free. And then the graham crackers and marshmallows will be added in. I suggest using these paleo marshmallows. My recipe for paleo graham crackers is here.
Can I make the dough ahead of time and bake them later?
Yes! I do this all the time. I make the dough in advance and refrigerate in a bowl covered until ready to bake.
Do I have to refrigerate the dough before baking?
Yes, this is a must. Otherwise the dough will be a melty mess and the cookies will spread too thin. The dough must be completely cold before baking, about 1-2 hours.
How to store gluten free S’mores cookies?
Store on counter in an airtight container for up to 3 days, then transfer to fridge for up to 7 days. Can be frozen in an airtight container or ziploc bag for up to 3 months, or can be enjoyed right from the freezer!