These oat bars are a perfect breakfast bar or with a cup of tea or coffee. They're made with gluten free flour, rolled oats and nut butter to give them moisture and the perfect crumbly texture. Chocolate chips or raisins are optional but recommended!
INGREDIENTS IN VEGAN CHOCOLATE CHIP OAT BARS
SUBSTITUTIONS AND SWAPS
1. I tested this recipe with Bob's All Purpose Gluten Free Flour, but this can be swapped for oat flour. If you are on a version of a low FODMAP diet, AP gluten free flour is more FODMAP friendly.
2. Coconut sugar can be replaced for brown sugar, or any other granulated sweetener.
3. Almond butter can be replaced for any other nut butter, but almond butter will give the most neutral flavor. Make sure it's runny and just nuts and salt as the ingredients!
4. Ground flax is used for flax eggs. You may use ground chia in replacement, or replace both flax eggs for one real egg.
Make Vegan Chocolate Chip Oat Bars in these easy steps:
1. Mix together the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately.
2. Combine them and mix well until a dough forms.
3. Add in chocolate chips or raisins or nuts of your choice.
4. Spread into a lined baking pan, loaf pan or square pan, and bake for 35 minutes until top is golden brown.
5. Slice up and enjoy!
SEE VIDEO BELOW FOR STEP BY STEPS:
What kitchen tools are needed to make gluten free chocolate chip oat bars?
Two mixing bowls
A 9x5" loaf pan or a square 8" or 9" baking dish
Chocolate Chip Oat Bars are gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, low FODMAP and vegan!
You would never know! These bars are a healthy breakfast option because they are made with very little unrefined sugar, are full of fiber, lower in fat and will keep you full! They are soft and slightly crumbly, perfect with coffee or tea.
Are oats low FODMAP? What about oat flour?
Yes! Even though oats are higher in soluble fiber, they are still low FODMAP, according to the Monash University FODMAP app. You can make these bars with all purpose gluten free flour or with oat flour. If you are sensitive to oats, I suggest using the gluten free flour blend.
What type of oats should be used in vegan chocolate chip oat bars?
I use old fashioned rolled oats, not quick oats! They will result in a mushy texture. Make sure your oats are gluten free AND organic. Oat crops are sprayed with glysophate, so eating organic oats ensures you will not be eating chemicals! Glysophate destroys your gut, your cells and your immune system. Oats that are not labeled gluten free may contain traces of wheat.
What if I'm not vegan?
You can swap the two flax eggs for one real egg. This will give the bars a denser texture and not so crumbly!
What if I'm not gluten free?
These chocolate chip oat bars are gluten free, and if they are made with oat flour so they are naturally gluten free, but if you aren't gluten free I do think all purpose flour could be used in substitution of the flour. I don't bake with regular flour so this has not been tested yet.
What other add ins would work in vegan oat bars?
If you don't want to add in chocolate chips, or just want to mix in additional add ins, the vegan oat bars are the perfect neutral base so anything will go!
Finely Chopped Apples
Chopped candy bars or peanut butter cups
Are oats paleo?
Oats are considered a grain, so unfortunately they aren't paleo! But they are easier to digest than most grains, and full of fiber so good for gut health overall. I am 90% paleo, but do eat oats!
Any other questions? Ask in comment box below!
IF YOU MAKE VEGAN GLUTEN FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP OAT BARS, LEAVE COMMENTS OR RATINGS BELOW! AS ALWAYS, TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @GUTSY_BAKER OF YOUR CREATIONS!