Vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte Cinnamon Rolls (Gluten Free, No Yeast!)
These pumpkin spice latte (PSL) cinnamon rolls are anything but #basic. They are made with a soft gluten free and yeast free dough, fresh pumpkin filling with pumpkin spices, and topped with a sweet coffee icing. Every bite is a taste of your favorite fall latte but like, better. Naturally vegan (no eggs needed) and gluten free with an option to make with no refined sugar. Everyone will love these fall cinnamon rolls, they're DELICIOUS and the perfect gluten free dessert!
JUMP TO RECIPE
These pumpkin spice latte cinnamon rolls are vegan, gluten free and refined sugar free! Also compliant for a low FODMAP diet.
I eat low FODMAP 90% of the time and I only bake with ingredients that are FODMAP friendly (and safe per single serving size). If you are low FODMAP, use maple sugar instead of coconut sugar in this recipe! These cinnamon rolls have no refined sugar, sweetened with just coconut sugar or maple sugar and cinnamon. If you have Vietnamese cinnamon, it will make this filling extra sweet! No eggs are needed in this recipe so it's easily vegan.
INGREDIENTS IN GLUTEN FREE PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE CINNAMON ROLLS
Pure Canned Pumpkin
Pumpkin Spice Spice Seasoning
Non Dairy Milk
Coconut Sugar or Maple Sugar or Light Brown Sugar
Apple Cider Vinegar
Powdered Sugar or Powdered Sweetener
Instant Coffee Grinds or Instant Espresso Powder
SUBSTITUTIONS AND SWAPS
1. I used Bob’s GF 1:1 flour. You may also try cassava flour but I’d reduce the amount to 1 3/4 cups. I haven’t tried this but it should work. Please leave comments if you do!
2. For non dairy butters, I use Earth Balance sticks and Miyoko’s butter. Or real, grass fed butter.
3. Coconut sugar is the lower glycemic option, it's safer for Candida diets and lower sugar diets. Maple Sugar is another paleo friendly option, and brown sugar is the classic option but it is not an unrefined sugar! All will work in the pumpkin spice filling. The dough must be made with either coconut sugar or maple sugar.
4. If you do not have Pumpkin Pie Spice Seasoning on hand, you can make your own blend and store it in a jar by mixing:
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cloves
5. I use oat milk as my non-dairy milk because it contains no gums or added sugars. I have a love affair with Oatly. But any non dairy milk will work here, or you can use regular milk.
6. Because we aren't baking the pumpkin into a bread or cookies, any brand of pure canned pumpkin should work fine. Make sure it's just pumpkin, not pumpkin pie mix. If you choose to roast a pumpkin, make sure to squeeze the water out through a cheesecloth before using in the recipe! It contains a lot more water.
7. I always make my own unrefined powdered sugar by putting any granulated sweetener in a high speed blender for 30 seconds. Maple sugar would be delicious, powdered monkfruit, or you can use traditional confectionary powdered sugar.
8. Either Instant Coffee or Instant Espresso Powder will work. Make sure it's INSTANT coffee, not coffee grinds. It will just dissolve into the icing.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE CINNAMON ROLLS IN THESE EASY STEPS:
See video below for step by steps!
1. Make the dough by mixing together all the dough ingredients and letting it chill for 30 minutes.
2. Prep the pumpkin spice filling by mixing together all filling ingredients and set aside.
3. Roll out chilled dough between two pieces of parchment into a 9 x 12" rectangle. Spread the pumpkin filling onto the dough leaving roughly a 1" border.
4. Roll up the longer side and carefully roll up lifting as you go until you have a log shape.
5. Slice the log into rolls about 1" thick each. Place in baking dish side by side and bake for 25 minutes.
6. Prep the icing by combining the instant coffee into the milk, and then adding the powdered sweetener.
7. Spread icing over warm rolls, dig in and enjoy!
If you love cinnamon rolls but don't want pumpkin or coffee, here are my other favorite cinnamon/sweet roll recipes!
The Best Vegan Sweet Cinnamon Rolls, GF/Refined Sugar Free
Lemon Raspberry Sweet Rolls, GF/Vegan
Blueberry Twist Bread (can be cut and baked as rolls!), GF/Vegan
You can also spice up gluten free pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls by adding in these to the filling or on top:
Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans (on top)
What kitchen tools to make pumpkin spice latte cinnamon rolls?
9" baking dish, circle or square
Why no yeast?
I do not use yeast in my breads or any of my baking. Battling a gut imbalance for years, I avoid yeast because it can contribute to a Candida overgrowth. I also avoid it because it is a main trigger for migraines and headaches, and is specifically high in histamines when it is fresh out of the oven. I use apple cider vinegar and a bicarbonate as a substitute. I'm not sure how a yeast would work in this recipe if you were to add it!
Can I make gluten free pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls paleo or grain free?
Possibly. You may also try cassava flour but I’d reduce the amount to 1 3/4 cups. I haven’t tried this but it should work. Use powdered monkfruit or powdered maple sugar in the icing to make that paleo-friendly!
How to make easy unrefined powdered sugar:
The coffee icing in this recipe calls for powdered sugar. You can use traditional powdered confectionary sugar, or you can make your own unrefined sugar. Simply place any granulated sweetener of choice in a high speed blender for 30 seconds. That's it! I suggest monkfruit, or you can use coconut sugar or maple sugar.
How to store gluten free pumpkin spice latte cinnamon rolls?
Store on the counter at room temp for 2 days in an airtight container, or vented. Then transfer to the fridge in an airtight container for up to 7. Reheat when you want to enjoy. You can also freeze individually for easy defrosting, for up to 3 months.
Do I have to add the coffee in the icing?
No! If you do not want the coffee, just omit it completely. This will just give you a traditional icing. You may need to add 1 more Tbsp of milk to desired consistency.
Are vegan pumpkin spice latte cinnamon rolls easy to make?
Yes! No fuss. No waiting for the dough to rise and warming the yeast. These can be made in under an hour. The dough is easy to roll and I have no trouble with it being too sticky or too crumbly. Keep in mind these cinnamon rolls are less stretchy, and more doughy and bread-like in texture due to the lack of gluten and yeast. They're like sticky buns or pinwheels. You can pull them apart or eat them with a fork!
Any other questions? Ask me in the comment box below!
If you make these easy and delicious gluten free pumpkin spice latte rolls, leave me ratings or comments below! I love to hear from you. And tag me on Instagram @gutsy_baker of your creations!